Monday, April 7, 2008

If that's moving up, I'm moving out!

The play is finally over. It took over my life for a while, 20-24 hours of rehearsal a week, no time for homework or TV or blogging or writing or long bubble baths with Ben Lee (his album, not the actual man, although, who could argue with that?). It's been a long two months, a long two months that flew by it seems. I asked L tonight how weird she felt about not having rehearsal, and she inevitably repeated the same feelings I was having on the subject... that it was amazing to finally have time to nap and clean our respective homes, but mildly sad.

Our director, who was brought in from NYC to direct this show for us, left Friday, which was ridiculously sad, because most of us will never see him again. And spending so much time with someone, regardless of whether you even like the person, creates this strange and unbreakable bond that is difficult to explain to someone who has never spent as much time together as the cast of a production. It works the same for sports teams... it's not a matter of friendship that bonds everyone. It's more a recognition that each member of the group has the same goal, and reaching that goal requires everyone working together to form one cohesive unit. Strange how goals and dreams can bond people who might never have met or even spoken.

Theater is one of those awkwardly wonderful crafts that brings together a particularly ecclectic mixture of people... there's techies (those guys who took shop in high school and drove huge trucks constantly covered in mud), artists (long and generally coloful hair, consistently wearing paint-covered jeans and t-shirts), drama queens & kings (well-dressed and always gossiping), beauties (self-explanatory), and the talent (those who give off some kind of crazy energy when they enter a room, the men and women whose smiles and eyes and touch melt hearts without trying)...

Maybe it's just a pipe dream, acting. I don't really care at this point. Every time I step on that stage, every time I get any kind of chance to show an audience just exactly what is inside of me, every moment my very presence can capture the attention of an entire room of people, keep them hanging on my every word. My GOD. Can you imagine anything sweeter? Because I can't.

My mother keeps bugging me to figure out what the hell I'm going to do with myself this summer. Honestly, my plan is to just take lessons and hone my *craft*. I fucking need it. Maybe take a couple of college courses - I only need a couple more hours until my core credit is finished. Then take dance classes, tap, jazz, mayble ballet... I definitely need to hook up with a voice teacher, find a one-bedroom apartment for the fall, find a JOB. Ugh. To be 20 years old. Not a girl, not yet a woman.

I'll tell you what I love - Billy Joel.

No comments: