I hear this college situation is supposed to make me "grow up" and become "more mature" and what not. But, honestly, I feel like I'm regressing. In high school, I would have never gone out on a school night, and subsequently not studied for the two exams I had the next day. Granted, high school never required "studying" as it were, but you know what I'm talking about.
Valentines Day, although most would agree it's silly and overrated, and all about consumerism (is that a word, probably)... I praise it. Really, maybe every day should be Valentines Day. Because it makes anyone who loves anyone else act just a little bit nicer, and overlook the stupid things that are said and not meant. Any other day, words said without thought and in passing can cause blow outs, but not on February 14th. No, that is the day that we look into each others eyes and see only the beautiful and the sincere and the loving. And, to me, that is a beautiful thing. And, of course, the red roses are nice too.
Anyone who is in the mood for falling in love a little bit should go see Definitely, Maybe. Okay, okay, so it's not the next Casablanca or anything, and no one is going to tell you it's setting up to be a classic, but regardless, sometimes it's okay to just abandon all artistic taste and enjoy something because it gives you that little tingle in the bottom of your stomach that makes you believe in the world again. I say feel-good comedies are a-okay. And maybe a necessary reminder?
So to anyone who hasn't heard about the Northern Illinois University shooting... wow. In the midst of all the love that Valentines Day sometimes brings, we have this. My phonetics professor is convinced there must be some hidden (or not so hidden) aspect of our society that is driving the young and old alike to feel justified in harming their peers. I'm not a psychiatrist, or even a remotely qualified observer of these things, but I do live in this society... and maybe that makes me overqualified. I had a lot of opinions on the subject, but in reality, opinions are just opinions, and no one is ever completely right.
I guess this has been a totally and completely pointless post. I'm extremely hungry, but diets happen, and one is happening to me right now. If I want to survive in the acting business, I can't give in to temptation. But a granola bar sounds fucking delicious right now.
"Hello helicopter, are you lost out there?
Swimming through the garbage dump that fills the air.
In several more years no one will care, they'll be rich and dead.
So let somebody else devise a cure for it."
Friday, February 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
No random post is pointless, darling :)
I agree with your view on Valentine's Day, however.
I think it's quite funny what you say about college/high school life, only because I think the same thoughts go through every college kid's mind. Why go out on a school night? Because we can. We're on our own, no one is stopping us. But the progressive part comes in when we all learn to either A. to do both (go out and do work) well or B. learn when it's okay to go out...
but it seems almost obvious.. everything i Just said..
Post a Comment