So my roommate, over Christmas break, decided to move out of our place. This is a problem for numerous reasons, but the biggest of these is that I have no one to move in and replace her... which means I am currently figuring out how to pay the rent on my own. Me, being the lucky as hell girl that I am, have my rent paid by my parents. But is it really fair to ask them to pay the entire $775 because my roommate decided to punk out?
The answer, of course, is hell no.
BUT... this girl is supposed to be my friend. And she has a long record of not following through with things when they get hard. For example, she recently quit a job because it wasn't pleasant enough for her. It's a part-time job, for God's sake. It's not supposed to be fun. It's supposed to pay the bills. In addition, she also quit school. (It should be noted here that she did one semester at a community college and took 6 credit hours before making this decision). She calls it "taking a semester off." I call it punking out. Again.
Maybe this is all my fault because I should have thought about her track record before I made the (very intelligent, by the way) decision to sign a lease with the girl. Regardless, I'm stuck. I've been trying feverishly to find someone to move in. It's a good thing I'm incredibly easy-going otherwise this would be an overwhelming task. Unfortunately, it's also a problem that we're in the middle of the school year and everyone is pretty much set for roommates.
I'm bringing all this up because I hadn't seen the girl since she emailed (yes, emailed) me over break to give me the news. When I got back to the apartment over break, she wasn't there. Her stuff was, and her boyfriend was the next morning (he came by for a nap between class, totally fucking weird), but until today I had not seen her. That's almost three weeks of school gone by that she hasn't been to the apartment. Although, I have a theory that she secretly learned my class schedule and has been coming when she knows I'm not going to be around. I mean, really, all of her clothes and shit are here, she must be sneaking things out.
Anyway...
Today she shows up. I'm in the middle of straightening my hair, and my puppy is asleep by my feet, and all is well. And then she's here. She walks up the stairs, says something along the lines of "Hey!" to me and walks into her room. I'm all, hey?, right back at her and stand in the hallway between our rooms waiting for some sort of explanation or, really, any words at all. She proceeds to tell me about how she has work in 40 minutes and is here to change and eat. And then she says she'll be here for the next 3 days too. Because she has work.
Which is fine.
I mean, this is her apartment too, and who am I to begrudge her her room? I guess, whatever, she can be my roommate for as long as she wants, or for as long as it takes me to find someone to fill her room. I just hope she pays her rent on Friday when it's due.
And I hope she doesn't plan on me counting on anything from her again, especially her friendship.
Wednesday, January 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment